Sunday, October 16, 2011

Samsung Wives Club

Hana and Frances

Sunny

Darth Vadar

Kimchee

Restroom Chandelier

Restroom Sink
Hana,  Darth's mother

Entrance to Min's Club

Our dining room, once the library, at Min's Club.

Darth

Sue



I had not seen these ladies since Austin.  They all lived in the Marquis apartment complex and their husbands are all engineers for Samsung.
Hana, Sunny, and Sue met me at the hotel this morning.  They brought along Darth Vadar, Hana's son.  OK, that is not his real name, but this time last year he and I went to a Halloween party at Barton Creek Country Club and he was wearing his Darth costume.  I was glad to see him and we were all glad that his English is so good.  He is 7.   Darth showed me pictures of his new sister, Julia who was not walking when I last saw her.  I asked him if he likes her and he said, "Not so much."  He says she drools, laughs, scratches and bites.
We went to Min's club which is a preserved building, once a residence, designed in a traditional manner with modern amenities.  We sat in the room that was once the library.  There were book shelves full of books, two very old typewriters, a very vintage telephone and four wing chairs gathered around a faux fireplace. 
Our lunch was exquisite.  There was a soy custard, then a salad, then a beef entree.  All were elegantly served and sparkling.  Darth used his napkin as a crown before smoothing it into his lap.  I had considered the same thing, but I did not want to embarrass my girl friends. 
After coffee, we paused in the courtyard where I took pictures of a very contented cat, some persimmons in the trees above the wall, and of the stone turtles.  I had not been able to resist taking pictures of the chandelier in the ladies room or of the beautifully painted sink. 
You may have wondered why we are seeing the V for victory in so many pictures.  It is a reflex.  If you get out a camera and say "Say Cheese!"  the fingers go up in a V by reflex.  All of them do it.
Darth did not think much about his mother's last name, Pee, prior to going to Oak Hill Elementary School. 
We talked about the two Halloween parties we went to together, the Easter Egg dying party and the Thanksgiving dinner I made for them while they were in Austin.  I have missed the time we had there.  I moved into the apartment complex for a short time after John died.  The Samsung wives club came into being after several months.  We spent many mornings talking, drinking coffee and eating watermelon off small toothpicks. 
Now, back in their own country, they were able to show me around.  We had a wonderful drive through some beautiful neighborhoods and even saw the president's house. 
When we got back to the hotel, Darth needed to get upstairs to the bathroom faster than the ladies could park, so we took the first car up to the 17th floor.  He explained a few things to me before the mother's caught up.  Then he went back to being a child.   I gave them some Peggy Gray chocolates.  Darth knocked off two pumpkin faced chocolate lolly pops in short order.  Then I got out some of the mints which come in small boxes.  They are flavored with wintergreen, spearmint and peppermint.  They were enjoying them until Darth got a pink one in his mouth and looked like he was going to expire.  He got rid of it and a few minutes later, his mom, Hana, was in the bathroom where Darth explained to me that she had to go to THROW UP the pink mint.  I think he meant spit out, but maybe Oak Hill Elementary did not teach him that distinction.  I am not sure which flavor the pink one is but it is definitely NOT compatible with the Korean palate.  Kimchee, yes,  Peppermint, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment