Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Frances Says

Sallie and I have just had breakfast in our Ramada Hotel in Cheongju.  There are all kinds of choices but I stuck to some basics like bacon, eggs, bulgogi, chestnuts, and black rice.   The coffee is excellent, the room we have had for the last two nights down here has been incredibly nice.

We made it from the airport to our hotel in Seoul on Saturday evening. InYoung, my god daughter was there to greet us and it has made it so nice to have her with us. 

Our first day, Sunday, had me staggering like a three legged cow on bad grass.  I am better now, but jet lag was way more pervasive than I expected it to be. 

We went to InSaDong first.   It is very close to our hotel.  It is the artist's district and has all kinds of paintings, clothing, art supplies, antiques, and my favorite: The souvenier stuff that I like to put in my quilts.  We saw people wandering around.  We saw Buddist Monks in gray garb.   I saw chairs.   I sat down every chance I got.  Sallie  saw dolls, fans, toys, paintings, scrolls.  It was all new to her.

After a rest we went across town to the Lotte Department store next to Lotte World. Every designer item you can imagine is sold there. In an attempt to stay up until bedtime without needing spinal fusion surgery, I had my nails done. Sallie and InYoung went up to the beauty shop and Sallie got a haircut. I ended up getting one too.  More staggering and we were at my friend JongSoon's house. 

To get to JongSoon or Janice as I call her, your ears will pop, Up we went, up, up. The streets are in a continual z with mirrors at the turns so that the driver can see who is coming. At the top, we were at her beautiful five bedroom apartment.

Janice is a Home Stay Korea sponsor and also an English teacher. She currently has an Italian boy and an American girl staying with her.  We all sat at the table and Mr, Na, Janice's husband cooked squares of raw pork on a grill while I watched Sallie abandon her metal chopsticks in favor of a fork.  Mr. Na serenaded us with several Korean folk songs. I pretended I was singing with him, but carrying a tune is a challenge and I sing in Korean the way small children pretend they know the words to songs.

Monday we took the trip to Cheongju. I will tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment