Friday, October 21, 2011

The Tojung man of Namdaemun.

Janice and I went to the Tojung Maker in NamDaeMun today.  We had to drop Sandy off at the Lotte Department Store for a photo shoot.  You can see why,  Sandy is beautiful.  Today she was tottering around on the highest heels I have ever seen.  She said they were not comfortable. Gee, I wonder why?  She also had on the kind of jeans we used to put on and soak in the bathtub so that they would shrink around our legs and other parts as they dried. Now I think they use spandex but the result is the same.


Tojung is the word for stamp.  A tojung is very important in Korea as a signature mark.  I actually had enough sense back in PC days not to open a bank account with a tojung since you couldn't get money out if you  lost your tojung.  I have lost many things in my life.  I do not need to loose my tojung.

You can still get hand carved stamps but these were made by computer and laser.  I chose the color and size of the stamping tool and we watched the man make the image on the computer screen.  We were getting tojung stamps for some relatives of mine.  Some of them are named YOU, some are TAY, and some are MO.  I also got an Anglicised one that says HOLLIDAY, which used to be my name before it became You, In Sun.

After the laser image was carved into the plastic, the man put the stamps in bags with small containers of red ink.  I am going to use mine on EVERYTHING.

If you want, they will make a nice tojung for cooples. 
They will make a stamp with both cooples
names on it for three minutes. 
 it in only three minutes it will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment