Friday, October 21, 2011

The Hanbok Lady of Namdaemun

When I was browsing in the Korean Traditional section of the Namdaemun market, this lady started calling out to me and gesturing to me and making a general racket.  As I walked over to her, she was picking up the phone to order iced coffee for Janice and me.  She was almost crying, she was so excited.  It turns out she was the woman that made my Hanbok three years ago.  I wish I had the picture of her from 2008, but it is on my computer at home.  Strangely enough, I had decided to use my small Hanbok bag today since I had used it last night when I was wearing the whole rig.  It is small and easier to handle but I can tell you, I have never used it as a daytime accessory before.  She first noticed the purse because it came from her booth.  Then she recognized my face.  What a reunion.  I was totally touched that she had rememberd me and had such a reaction.   Janice and I sat at her booth and enjoyed her iced coffee.  She says that no matter how many times I come to see her, I will always get iced coffee from her.


Last night, I learned that Korean people often have difficulty saying "I love you."  They have found a way to say it that requires no speech.  They put their hands above their heads to make a heart.  She did this for me. 
The we had to have our pictures taken together.  When I suggested this, I looked at her booth and determined that she has to climb over her counter to get out.  We each moved quite a bit to get this pose.  The V sign of course, is a result of saying "Kimchee."

No comments:

Post a Comment