Thursday, October 6, 2011

Frances says, Post 2-F (Who did you say is Calm???)

When I arrived at the airport tonight in San Francisco I got the message from Sallie that she did not make her plane. So, I have the room to myself tonight and am hoping that all goes well and that she makes it here in time for our 2:00 flight.

I got up at six this morning to make the trip down to Hartford, Connecticut for my 10:55 flight. Fritz drove with focused determination and came inside to see me off. He walked up to the check in desk for Southwest Airlines just in time to watch me juggle items out of one of my suitcases and into my carry on case. Ok, I know about packing light but this is something I DO NOT DO. I always think I will but it never happens.

One of the problems is gifts to take. Koreans like gifts. So, a lot of you know that I have relatives on the Holliday side of the family who have a candy company. Last night, Randy Lloyd and Dante helped me pack half pound boxes of assorted chocolates, hostess mints and thirty pumpkin faced chocolate lollypops. I wonder what customs will say about all this. Peggy Gray candy has been in existance for many years. I remember as a child, going through their small factory on the Lake Erie shores of Pennsylvania watching women hand dip the most wonderful chocolates imaginable. So, back to the suitcases. Chocolate, Coach, Ralph Lauren, and some clothes, shoes and a few quilting supplies.

Fritz is amazing. Look at all the opportunities he had this morning to tell me that I packed too much stuff. He never said a word, just helped me get the zippers back up on the very full cases. I barely got the zipper back up on my carry on case which by now was REALLY full. By Chicago, I had decided that my FAKE Luis Vuitton case was ready to go. It makes me look a little more pulled together but when I got off in San Francisco, they guy with the wheel chair asked me if I was his passenger. No, thankfully not. So I bought a new carry on in red which matches my other two cases. I wonder if I could get arrested for abandoning a carry on case in the airport. Probably, but they haven't caught me yet.

In this world we live in now, it is hard to believe that as I have been writing this post, I have been chatting on Facebook with my brother Trevor who is now living in Abbu Dhabi. By this time Sunday half the Holliday kids will be AWOL from America. We all promise to come back.

2 comments:

  1. Safe journey to you and Sallie. I am so looking forward to sharing it with you via this blog. Thank you for the effort. It has been a while since we have all been treated to one of your travel blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to worry about packing light if you are packing Peggy Gray candy. I think that this is a good move on your part. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of good pictures of Korea. I'd love to be there with both of you, but I know that you will be able to take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete